Friday, October 25, 2013

Fresh Mushroom Soup Tutorial

I keep getting requests from people about my soups. So here is one more, super tested, recipe from my repertoire. A fresh cream of Champignons, made from scratch. Super easy to make and delicious too!


Ingredients:

2 Tbsp Butter
700 gr cleaned and sliced mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
3 Tbsp flour
2-3 Tbsp white whine or sherry
6 cups stock
2/3 cup milk cream
2 tbsp parsley or chives
lemon juice (optional)
salt & pepper

Here is my mise en place. In place of stock I always use my homemade bouillon and add the desired water. See recipe here


I placed the butter in a stockpot at medium heat, along with the onion, and sautéed it until translucent.


While the onions were sweating, I cleaned and sliced the mushrooms. I never wash mushrooms. That makes them slimy and icky. I have a brush (find it here) that I use to remove debris.


At this point I made a roux adding the flour and mixing quickly (away from heat to avoid clumps).


I added the wine and mixed thoroughly for a few minutes.


Once the wine was boiling, I added the bouillon and water. I used 2 tbsp of bouillon and 6 cups water.


At this point I added the mushrooms, brought to a boil, and cooked for 20 minutes on low heat.


I removed two ladle-full of mushrooms and set them aside.


After it cooled down I blended all the ingredients well with my immersion blender and seasoned it with salt and pepper.


I then brought the soup back to heat, to warm it back up without bringing it to a boil, and scooped it into small bowls, garnishing with lemon juice, the reserved champignons, some cream & parsley. 

* * * * *

This is the soup without incorporating the heavy cream, I only used some for garnishing. If you are counting calories this is delicious as-is, but if you want a richer cream of mushroom, use the 2/3 cup of cream (listed in the ingredients) and incorporate it right after blending, and before final warming.


I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment